To help you better understand your audience and the current state of the app economy, Adjust has released its latest report, Mobile App Trends 2021: A Global Benchmark of App Performance.
Based on Adjust’s dataset of the top 2,000 apps tracked across gaming, e-commerce, and fintech, the report analyzes trends in installs, sessions, time spent in-app, retention, and re-attribution.
Key findings include:
- App installs increased by 50% from 2019 to 2020 across all verticals, with installs up again by 31% in the first quarter of 2021, compared to the same time frame last year.
- Sessions increased by 30% overall from 2019 to 2020, and are continuing to grow in 2021 — up by another 4.5% so far.
- Fintech apps posted the best year-on-year growth at 51%. This is likely due in part to the huge adoption rates for trading apps including Robinhood, Acorns, and Gatsby. Fintech sessions also boomed in 2020 — increasing 85% compared to 2019 — and are already up 35% in 2021.
- Gaming reached new heights in 2020, particularly in hyper casual, where installs increased 43% — compared to 26% for non-hyper casual.
- E-commerce apps performed exceptionally well in 2020. Despite an increase in installs of only 6%, sessions surged by 44%, showing that mobile shoppers are highly engaged.